Here’s What To Know About Threads:
- Threads is a new mobile App for iOS and Android, built by the Instagram team, for sharing text updates and joining in public conversation.
- Users log in using their Instagram accounts.
- Posts can be up to 500 characters long and include links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes in length.
- Meta engineers are working to make Threads compatible with the open, interoperable social networks that they believe “can shape the future of the internet.”
And, Top of Line Threads Details
- 30 Million sign ups in its first day of launch. – Source Mark Zuckerbergs Thread
- Threads was expressly created to directly compete with Twitter. – CNBC
- Threads users must have an Instagram account in order to create and use the App.
- Users can automatically follow your Instagram friends (that also have a Threads account) on Threads.
- Elon (Twitter) sent Mark (Meta) cease-and-desist letter – CNN
Given the tumultuous couple of years with Twitter and emerging competing brands (Spill, Bluesky, Mastodon etc.), we recommend ‘Threading lightly’ for now, but taking proactive steps now to prepare for the inevitable future:
- Short term: If you or your brand already have an Instagram account, download the App and claim your Threads account ASAP. Meta has made this a seamless process for brands that already have Instagram accounts to encourage those followers to also engage with them on their Threads. See how some brands are launching their first Threads.
- Long-term: Begin considering a long-term strategy that includes and incorporates Threads. We can help you with this!
- Are you (still) on Twitter? Twitter continues to be a volatile place for brands and advertisers. We recommend maintaining an existing presence if you’re already active and monitoring how the platform evolves with your audience.
As your trusted social media agency, we work to stay ahead of the ‘thread’, providing you with the most strategic and up-to-date insights to maximize your online presence. As always, please don’t hesitate to reach out!