Once a year Metro EDGE, a young professionals program of the Sacramento Metro Chamber, hosts Executive Insight exclusively for its valued members. Last year after this same event, I was inspired to reach out to Gordon for a career chat and look where I landed, here at 3fold!
Executive Insight brings together the region’s most influential business leaders to share how they got to where they are today, what it takes to be successful, what missteps to avoid along the way and what it means to be a great leader. This year, our own Gordon Fowler was among the region’s leaders along with this spectacular line-up.
The Hyatt provided an elegant setting for this event with delicious food to fuel the energy and engagement of the crowd. As the event started, each speaker gave a brief overview of who they are, how they got to where they are professionally and personally, and shared advice and insights to help guide the region’s young professionals as we navigate our career choices. In my perspective, the most valuable part of the event was when each speaker went on a “speed date” and sat down with small groups of EDGE members to face the firing squad of questions. The speakers at my table embraced each question and had candid and honest discussions with our group. If I had one hope for next year’s event, it would be for more table time with the speakers.
A few reoccurring themes emerged and helped me think about my journey and how I can use their experience and advice in a positive way.
- There is no typical career trajectory and you CAN do anything you want, regardless of where you are at NOW. Change is possible and you are in control.
– “Everyone can do what they want in life.” – Ginger Elizabeth Hahn, Ginger Elizabeth Chocolates
– “There’s always room at the top.” “Love what you do.” – Roger Dreyer, Dreyer Babich Buccola Wood Campora, LLP
- It’s all about positioning. Position yourself as an expert in your field and craft, and position yourself among those that will help you become a better person.
– “Life is not a vertical career path, life is a checkerboard and you control the positioning.” – Gordon Fowler, 3fold Communications
– “Who you are around makes a difference in who you become.” – Roger Dreyer, Dreyer Babich Buccola Wood Campora, LLP
- We all attempt to strike a professional/personal balance, especially as it relates to harmonizing work and family life. An even balance is unrealistic but adjusting and embracing the flow is important. Wherever you are, be present in that situation, whether it is at work or at home with family.
- – “The perfect balance is imperfect…assess regularly and adjust.” – Mike O’Brien, Sacramento Magazines Corporation
– “You can have it all; you just can’t have it all at once.” – Gordon Fowler, 3fold Communications
- There are things we can do to stay challenged and keep growing. Embrace the uncomfortable, learn from it, and keep asking questions.
– “Stay curious…keep talking to younger people.” – Fred Teichert, Teichert Foundation
– “Embrace anxiousness, it is a moving force for yourself.” – Yvonne Glenn, Trofholz Technologies, Inc.
A departing thought from one speaker to the Metro EDGE crowd was for us to keep our level of energy, enthusiasm, and engagement up. Thank you to all the panelists for providing us insights from your life experiences; we will use these thoughts to fuel our passion and individual life trajectories. I once again left the event feeling empowered and proud to be a part of Metro EDGE and very proud to be a part of the 3fold Communications team.
* Photos from Metro EDGE and RyanGreenleaf.com